What is your office like?
I don’t know about you, but I want my office to be awesome. I am constantly at battle with the clutter that shows up the day after youth. I want my office to be a place where students are welcome. Where we can have honest and open talks about life and faith. It’s a place where I can counsel parents and leaders. It’s a third space for me to spend a ton of time.
What about you? Do you have an office? At my last church, I never really had an office. I had a cubical. It was enough, but I had no privacy. Now, I have an office. I have worked hard at making it awesome. I have pinned things to an office board on pinterest that I love.
Here are some of the essentials that make up an awesome office.
1. Build a desk. Actually, build a standing desk. If you don’t want to build one and can afford to buy one check out this stand up desk from ikea(Here is the link). They say that sitting is the new smoking. Investing in a stand up desk might give you years with your kids or grandkids. Definitely worth it.
2. Get the right computer. Apple MacBook Pro MGX72LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (NEWEST VERSION). I have had my mac book pro for 3 years, and I just put in a new SSD hard drive. It’s as good as new. You can’t usually say that about a PC sadly. It’s worth the initial investment. Go paper less.
3. Find the right monitor. AOC i2367Fh 23-Inch IPS Frameless LED-Lit Monitor, Full HD 1080p, 5ms, 50M:1 DCR, VGA/ HDMI, Speakers, Multi Purpose Stand. This monitor is sweet. Cheap for a great looking monitor on your standup desk.
4. Get a stand for your laptop. mStand Laptop Stand. Put your laptop on a stand. You battle station is now dual screen!
6. Chalkboard and dry erase. Blik is the only place I buy things for my office. I have a decal from them, and when students come in they always say how cool that decal is. I get comments on my office all the time. It’s worth making the space look good if you are going to be using it for meetings and counselling.
7. Make amazing coffee. Nespresso D121-US4-BK-NE1 Espresso Maker with Aeroccino Milk Frother, Black. Buy this machine and now your office is a starbucks. I bought one of these for my home 4 years ago, and it’s on the list for my office. It will cut my meetings budget in half. Plus, I find that starbucks isn’t the best to meet to talk about certain things…especially in a small town. This machine is worth the investment. Your lead pastor will love coming to your office for coffee.
8. Add some sweet speakers. Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III. These little speakers can pound. Why have all those cords and clutter when you could have this speaker.
9. Charging station for your phone. Twelve South HiRise Deluxe for iPhone/iPad, black | Adjustable charging stand w/Lightning + MicroUSB cables. Don’t let your iPhone or iPad die at work. It’s just that simple.
10. Find comfy couches. I found cheaper couches buy keeping an eye out from liquidators. I was able to snag half a sectional for $50. No one was ever going to use that in their house, but in my office it looks fine.
Magnetic Chalk Board Wall. This is one cool feature of my office. It looks great, and you can write on it. Warning: This will smell like death. I painted this on and left for a few days, because I thought I was going to die from the toxic fumes. It was gross. But in the end, it was worth it. The wall looks awesome, and it’s totally useful.
Neu Year Calendars. These are the best calendars. I will use them every year. It’s nice to have every event, holiday, meeting and more all on one calendar. I love being able to look at a glance the whole year. It really helps to build momentum.
Those are 10 ways you can make your office awesome. Now that you made it so awesome, get out and meet some students. You aren’t getting paid to stay in your office all day!