7 Secrets To An Awesome Marriage [book review]
“If someone told you that you had a 50 percent chance of losing all your money by the end of the month, we are are certain they would have your full attention…Knowing there is a good chance of some life-altering tragedy, you would do everything to avoid it. And yet, everyday people get married with full knowledge that approximately 50 percent of marriages end in divorce. So why don’t we do everything we can to take the odds seriously?”
Are we intentional with our marriages?
I am worried about pastor’s marriages. I am worried about mine, and others because I wonder if we are really prioritizing our marriages. I was listening to a podcast by Andy Stanley a few month’s ago called Breathing Room: Time. I was convicted about my time, and where I was spending it. I started to track my time because I wanted to know where it all went. I found out that I wasn’t being intentional with my relationship with God and with my wife.
We need to be intentional about how we lead our own marriages. If you are struggling, or just want some tips on how to make your marriage great, 7 Secrets to an Awesome Marriage: Strengthen Your Most Intimate Relationship is a book you need to buy and read.
We all want an awesome marriage. There are times when we are in a great season of marriage. Often we find ourselves in places where we don’t know what else to do, or who do ask help from when our marriages our struggling.
The author Kim Kimberling breaks down the book into 7 sections:
- Stop: The Insanities That Hold Us Back
- Start: The Practice Of Putting God First, Spouse Second
- Connect: The Art of Listening and Being Present
- Engage: How to Fight Right
- Balance: Scheduling for a Better Marriage
- Mingle: Sex as the Mingling of Souls
- Fight: The Power of Fighting Together on the Same Team
The best section is the 2nd section, Start: The Practice Of Putting God First, Spouse Second. Once we truly put God first, then everything else will be elevated. The biggest thing the author suggests is to spend time praying for each other.
At the end of each chapter there is a take away or a way to practically apply it. This is useful for any book on marriage. I find that most books on marriage offer knowledge, but don’t help people apply it.
Things we love about 7 Secrets to an Awesome Marriage:
- It’s full of relatable stories.
- It’s really practical.
- It’s all about Jesus
Awesome Quotes from 7 Secrets to an Awesome Marriage:
- “No matter who you are or what you have done or what has been done to you, you are not damaged goods. No one has the right to define you but God.”
- “Some people back up, get help, take a long look at themselves, and reinvent their thoughts and ideas of what it takes to have a successful marriage.”
- “I think it is almost impossible for a couple to come together in prayer before the God of the universe and walk away angry. It just does not work that way.”
- “Communication without connection is common in marriages.”
- “The Secret to their marriage: “We decided then and there that God was going to be the center of marriage and that we were comment to His plan for us no matter what it was.”
- “Ideally, a couple goes through all the steps to grow their marriage. They identify their insanities, they pursue God individually and together, and they learn to connect. This lays a foundation that is healthy and allows for growth.”
- “I have never talked to a person or a couple who chose purity and regretted it, nor to a person or a couple who chose to be sexually active outside of marriage and said their completely fulfilled.”
7 Secrets to an Awesome Marriage: Strengthen Your Most Intimate Relationship is a helpful book and would be useful to have in your library or on you digital device. Every couple that comes to me for pre-marriage counselling will go through this book with Tim Kellers, ‘The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God”