How many podcasts do you listen to each week?
The more I talk to friends the more I realize that podcasting today is a powerful medium. Some youth pastors will go on my blog everyday and ready (some), but we are missing a huge group of youth pastors who don’t have the time to read another blog online.
This past spring I was chatting with a friend about how I love listening to podcasts and how I would love to see a youth ministry podcast. I know that there are few awesome video casts like youth ministry garage, and the simply youth ministry show. My friend and I were talking about a resource that you didn’t have to sit down and actually watch. So, we came up with the idea to do our own podcast. The podcast will never be in video, and will be something that you hopefully subscribe to and listen to while working out, or driving to hangout with students.
Here is what the podcast will look like:
1. Social media update. This could be anything from talking about a youth ministry article we read this past week like Adam Mclane’s post called, Why You Should Delete SnapChat, to discussing if you could use google’s chrome cast in your youth ministry (you probably can’t yet!).
2. How to’s. We want to give you advice on how to set up a texting strategy, or a facebook page. We could also discuss if you need a website or not. We could debate wordpress websites vs squarespace.
3. Talking to workers in the trenches. We want to steer away from talking with the “pros”(even tough we might from time to time). We want people who are proven today in the field. I have met youth workers from across the globe who are doing a great job reaching teens for Christ in different ways, using different technology. We want those conversations!
4. 30 minutes max. We will honestly try to keep in under 30 minutes each time. I am not a huge fan of podcasts going over an hour, and I think the sweet spot is 30 minutes.
5. Q &A on the subject. Each podcast will be posted a week before on youth ministry media with a tab on the side to leave a voice message for us. We would love to have your question on the theme, and it is a way for the youth ministry community to hear who you are and where you are from!
6. It’s going to be monthly. For now we are going to post once a month. It’s that simple. We are going to start off slow so that we can iron out all the kinks.
So, with that said, here is our introduction and we look forward to the conversation! Also, please be patient with us as we figure this all out! Thanks.
Check it out on itunes here.